Over salted your food again? You probably won’t be able to eat it unless you are Kraken, the sea monster. Extra salt ruins the taste and flavour of food and fails to go down the throat without a cringe. If you face the situation often, don’t worry.
Here’s how you can fix over-salted food:
- If the food that has been over salted can be rinsed, rinse. Steamed vegetables, meat in brine, and even rice can be rinsed to lower its salt content.
- Add starch to the food if you cannot rinse it. A cut potato, a few grains of rice, or even a dash of flour can absorb the excess salt in the dish.
- If dairy is already added to the dish, or can be added, go ahead and mix in sour cream, yoghurt, or heavy cream and it will ease out the salty taste.
- Sometimes a touch of sweetness balances out the taste of an aggressively salted dish. A spoon of sugar or honey might just do the trick for you.
- Acidity also helps offset salty flavour of a dish. A squeeze of lemon, or other citrus fruits can be your food saviours.
There you go! No more shoving down salty food down your throat for the sake of not wasting it. Happy cooking!