Skin cancer is becoming increasingly common and it is time to take action.
In the USA alone, it is estimated that half the cancer cases are skin cancers. Every year around a million people suffer with cancer mainly due to sun exposure.
While we are all susceptible to skin cancer because we are exposed to the sun everyday, there are measures that we could take in order to reduce the risk and to stay safe.
- You need to wear sunscreen each and everyday regardless of the skin type and your skin color. Do not be under the impression that people with dark skin tone are immune to sun’s harmful radiations. Choose a sunscreen that suits your skin and use it every single day. The sunscreen should be able to protect you from UVA as well as UVB rays. If you have any doubts, talk to your dermatologist.
- You have to protect yourself even when it is cloudy because around 80% of the rays still penetrate and reach you. Therefore, you have to careful regardless of the weather.
- Try staying indoors during peak hours: 10 AM to 4 PM.
- Eat foods that have high vitamin D and take supplements if required.
- Perform regular examinations to check for any freckles or moles that may indicate the onset of cancer.
Image Credits: belchonock/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos