Carbon monoxide poisoning has become alarmingly common. The worst part is that it comes without warning and you usually realize after it is too late. A few common practices, though, will help you avoid this deadly health problem.
- You need a CO detector in the house. Buy a battery-operated one and make sure it is specifically for CO. Only these detectors can warn you about CO. Others will not help. If the alarm goes off, leave the house and call the fire department.
- Make sure all your heating appliances are checked every year.
- Never use any gasoline or charcoal burning devices such as a grill near your window or the basement or, of course, in your home.
- Gas ovens are dangerous to heat the house. Avoid them.
- A vehicle should never be left running in the garage.
Common symptoms of CO poisoning include headache with nausea, shortness of breath, and feeling light-headed. If you see these signs, it is necessary that you visit the doctor.
Image Credits: leekris/ iStock/ Thinkstock Photos